20 November 2008

On Obama (the nice edition)

Sen. McCain has no bigger supporter than me. However, the day after the election, I noted in a post on this site the historic nature of the 2008 election -- no matter my disappointment in the Senior Senator's defeat, the fact that America has elected its first black president a little more than a generation removed from the era of segregation is truly a remarkable thing.

Furthermore, I refuse to be among those moonbats who says things along the lines of, "Not my president." If you've caught yourself saying something like that after Nov. 4, we'd rather you just leave this site. I took umbrage at many liberals uttering that phrase after President Bush's victories in 2000 and 2004, and I believe such a remark reveals a shallow callousness and, to be frank, a complete lack of patriotism. You're not just an American when a Republican is in the White House. It doesn't work that way. 

Barack Obama is my president. I expect to be one of his harshest critics in my future, but I support him and genuinely hope he succeeds. Do hope otherwise is to literally root against the country, and I'll leave that childish behavior to the left.

Any suggestion that Republicans should root against Obama (much like congressional liberals publicly cheerleaded against the Iraq troop surge in 2006 and 2007, and like many liberals across the country did against Bush post-2004) is asinine. Obama is your president. Period. If you don't like it, move to Canada, and don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out. The Republican Party has proven itself wholly incapable of effective governance, and the voters decided it was time for a change. 

No comments: